Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Design thinking


















The suspension bridge on Spruce Street in San Diego. I used to love running on the bouncy bridge through the eucalyptus grove.

Design thinking is a process for practical, creative resolution of problems or issues that looks for an improved future result.[1] Unlike analytical thinking, design thinking is a creative process based around the "building up" of ideas. There are no judgments early on in design thinking. This eliminates the fear of failure and encourages maximum input and participation in the ideation and prototype phases. Outside the box thinking is encouraged in these earlier processes since this can often lead to creative solutions. Wikipedia

It is something I have known but the term has been so well articulated and expanded upon by some interesting individuals. I first ran across a company named Ideo that goes in teaching big companies to think creatively. They write, "We are a global design consultancy. We create impact through design. Ideo's Tim Brown blogs about creative design...I need to think, I need to be creative, I want to be focused, I need a project...this is interesting to me...this is modern art...now what do I do?

No comments: