Friday, January 2, 2009

Making things with my mama...


















We have had a wonderful holiday season but also a sick one in this Minnesota cold so my mother made her sick babies(big grown up babies) some chicken soup with homemade noodles. I love making things with my mother. She is so talented and passionate about everything she makes. I watched her mix the eggs, flour, salt with a little Turkish olive oil since Minnesota is so dry in the winter needs that extra moisture. After the ball of dough was kneaded she cut it into smaller balls and we sent it through the pasta machine. Every time we sent the dough through we made the setting smaller so the get nice thin sheets of pasta. Then another setting evenly slices the noodles. We did this with my Turkish husband via skype with web cam. He chatted with us and watched us do the slicing. Thank you technology for this amazing invention. It is making this big world so much smaller.


















You can save this fresh pasta by line drying it. It hardens and preserves just like the kind you would buy in the store. Again I think my generation is so disconnected where food comes from or how it is made. Also time is always a factor but pasta making is easy and so fun with the ones you love! Hope all are having a happy new year!!! 2009 wow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Em
I know by know that you are back in your "2nd" home safely and soundly....and I also I am SOOOO excited to hear that you are going to have a beautiful baby. I am so very happy.....you two will make a wonderful mom and dad for a very lucky baby....I will have to come to Turkey for SURE to visit....doesn't this make me like a grand auntie or something????
I feel terrible that we never got in our sushi night....it is a shame (on my part) that "life" can be percieved as too busy to do what really makes us happy....like share sushi (or your mom's cooking)with special friends....
Tell Chalar (I know the spelling is like way wrong...) that I am so happy that you are back home and that he doesn't have to worry ever about his new baby's teeth!!!
Love you,
nancy