Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy birthday Dad...






































It was yesterday...

I wish it went like this...

Me calling my dad on skype. I can hear it play in my head, his voice, how his glasses would be all funny on his face around his neck with that silly string. He would probably be looking at some stats or news at the same time talking to us.

He would answer and say, "hi doll(maybe dolls plural now, what would he call our baby girl?)"

me:"Hi dad, Happy birthday!"

dad: "oh thanks sweetie."

me: "what are you guys going to do today?"

Then he would stop "computing", take off his glasses, lean back in the chair, stretch, then cross his arms turning his attention to us...

dad: " oh probably just go down to the Muni for a burger with everybody. Mom made me a chocolate cake. Kids are coming over later. Nothing too special. How are you guys? How is Mavisu?"

me: "We are good. Mavisu is growing so big and beautiful...here look..."
dad: "(here is new territory? I am not sure what exactly he would say because we never got to talk about his grandbaby, the cancer had already made him so weak when we came home from the hospital with her. I know though that he would love her. He loved her. It would make him smile a BIG smile. He would love her!")

We would go on to talk about projects each other are doing. I would get the down low on each sibling and mom as she would be working on a Wednesday. I would ask his opinion about something or other. He would have an opinion. He always did:)

The conversation would take a lull or two and we knew we were done for that session.

I would wish him Happy birthday again and tell him I love him. He would say thanks and say he loves us too.

I would email him a card with a picture of baby girl or have sent something he would get late...of course:)

This is what I wish happened yesterday...

But instead the sharp knife of reality sliced deep. He is gone never too return. It fucking sucks.

Now he lives on in beautiful memories. I hope I can always remember his funny mannerisms and know what he would do in certain situations.

Love you forever father dear...

The above photo is of a gorgeous oil painting of my father's portrait given as a huge, beautiful surprise to my mother. Truly it has a life of it's own and is the second thing to have my father reborn. It is there with my mother and it makes her smile which is the most important! The painting was done by the very kind and ridiculously talented painter, Jeffrey T. Larson.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post emily...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...
It touched me even more since today was also my Dad's birthday.
Marsha

Ayak said...

What a poignant post Emily. It made me shed a tear for my Dad who died 9 years ago. You will never lose the memories. I never have and I still have conversations with him in my head.

xxxx

renai said...

Beautifully written Emily.
He would be so touched by the way you honour him.

meghan Jedrzejczyk said...

Sweetie.... I received your mamas update on CaringBridge and I cried until I had no tears left to cry. Why is death so final? For me it is my beautiful amazing daughter...for you it is your loving father...and for you mama it is her soulmate...Why Em?? Your words lay on my soul... you know you are so very right when you say it fucking sucks...it really does. I love you Emily. I am here a world away but here. Whenever you need me... I am here.

mag said...

holy crap, you have dads mannerisms down to a tee. I literally could picture the entire thing in my head! Well done, and yes, it does FUCKING suck.

and we did go to the Muni on Wednesday for his bday!

LOVE YOU,

becky said...

Thanks for the beautiful reminder...
Guessing he is wondering what all the fuss is about, but sure that he is wearing his wonderful smile.
Honored to share his b-day - actually ate two pieces of cake on purpose, one for him and one for me...hope he likes chocolate.

liv said...

so sweet em:)and it's been my experience that the knife becomes more dull each year..its like where the wound was inner peace will start to sneak in...I LOVE U!

irene said...

hi em,

what a sweet, sad post. you are so lucky to have such fond memories of your dad.

i've been catching up on reading your blog. what a life you have. your dad must have been so proud to see his little derelict grow up to be a world-traveling writer and all around wonderful lady.

xoxo

irene