Friday, July 24, 2009

Birth...different vs. same


















When I travel I embrace the differences I find in a culture. A different way of doing things, making things, different food, and ideas. I can honestly say I have been saddened at times to find some big foreign cities looking a little to much like America but the part America I don't care for either with strip malls and fast food joints.

But the longer I live abroad the more of a treat it is to drink an OCCASIONAL Starbucks or order a Mcdonald's cheeseburger...the familiar...

We went to the doctor yesterday. We had our ultrasound and got to see our little one. The doctor said she is looking really healthy and tall, inşallah! I am feeling good and so is my husband so I know this is what is important but...

About a month ago I asked our doctor about hospitals and informed her I want a natural birth as long as everything is going well. She said the local Didim hospital was fine for natural births and that we had plenty of time to think about all that(still three months at the time). So we just touched on it lightly then.

Well we went yesterday(a month later) and I asked again about the hospital. She started to describe it...

One room you labor in with two beds and maybe you are alone or maybe another women is laboring in there with you...ok...then she proceeds to say that no one is allowed in the room- especially men- meaning even my husband can't come in...ok...fight back the tears emily...She said I would be in the room by myself with a mid-wife who speaks only Turkish occasionally being checked on by her, my doctor(who speaks English and has been really good so far for the record). After I labor the baby out(which can take several hours), basically by myself with no laboring partner which is typical in America-a partner, I am then watched for 6 hours and then moved to my private room where my husband can come in finally with other family....

I couldn't hold them back anymore! Balling hysterically! This news brought visions of myself in an impersonal, inhospitable concrete room since all buildings are made of concrete around here-the paint chipping away-as it often does. The room is hot in temperature most likely since "we"(meaning they) wouldn't want me or the baby to get sick- remember there is this fear of the cold in this culture. Me-alone except for a strange mid-wife who only speaks Turkish to hold my hand and smile at me. All while confined to the bed and not allowed to move(even though I want to be moving and changing positions alot) until I painfully pop my first child out all while some other Turkish lady lay laboring next to me. All with just a Turkish toilet in the hall to use. And I can only see my husband and in-laws 6 hours after the whole ordeal. No husband or support to swear at, to massage me, to get me cold water, to make me laugh when I want to cry. Or to speak English with!

This is all still two months away. I know I am partially just being a hormonal pregnant woman and picturing the worst but partially this sounds awful and like nightmare not a beautiful birthing experience. I also just get sad some days that I am having our child miles away from my family and my mom and sister can't come here anymore even though it is for very important reasons. Although my dear friend and her mother have offered to come...but will they be allowed in?

I know that people have been having babies for millions of years under much less glamorous circumstances but I am just scared. It is my first baby, far from home and my only real family/support here, my husband is not allowed next to me. I just want to feel comfortable and at least slightly in control of the whole situation.

In USA, and England I know for sure, it is common for you and your labor partner(most likely your husband) to go through birthing classes together where you learn what to expect for the most part. How to breath through the contractions, how your partner can help you through them with holding techniques, coaching and massage. Your partner is always allowed in the room with you. Also most people write a birthing plan- a letter stating their wants and needs for the birth. It can be looked at as a beautiful bonding experience instead of just lonely painful one while my husband smokes cigarettes outside unaware of what is happening.

In Turkey they have nothing like this. No preparatory classes. Ok so rarely. I wonder if this is why so many of the women I have talked to chose cesarean sections over natural births-FEAR-fear of the unknown?

As I balled in the doctors office my doctor assured me several times she would help me but how exactly? She also reminded me that I speak Turkish- but not that well I reminded her! My husband and my mother-in-law both assured me they would find a way into the room by contacting the head of the hospital or stealing doctors lab coats to sneak in. I know they will do it too:)

I know it will all get worked out. Our baby will come. I need to build myself up and hold strong to what I want though!

We are going to go see the hospital next week so I can actually picture myself in the "dreaded room". Does my baby stay with me after she is born? This is important to me. Also if I still don't feel comfortable with it all we will have to find a different hospital.

There I wrote it down, I released it, Now I need to move forward and know my baby will be coming soon whether I love my laboring situation or not.

The most important is that she is healthy. She is moving right now as I sit still feverishly typing this all out:)

And to relate it back to the top...different is good. I still love and appreciate the differences between Turkish life and my American life but this is one time I want Starbucks to come to me or what ever -I want the same- The familiar- -how I always imagined it-I want my birthing classes, my husband informed and with me at the birth. Empowerment. Deep breathes!


















We are getting her room ready!

10 comments:

Verity said...

The room looks gorgeous!

Ahhh - I have to say I think you are much braver than me! If you don't like the hospital and decide to come to Istanbul for the birth let me know - I have some friends that can recommend doctors - especially those that will help you to give birth naturally rather than via c section (which unfortunately is so common here).

Perhaps if you don't live too far from the hospital you can try to labour as much at home as possible where you will have your husband's support. (I did this even though I was living in Australia at the time, just because home is so much more familiar and comfortable).

I am thinking back to my time in pregnancy, during the birth and through the early months when Yashar was a baby and think how important support is, especially without your close family and friends around you. So please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

emily ohhhsweetturkey said...

Verity, Thank you so much for your kind words! Just venting and hearing from others helps me so much!I will keep it in mind to stay at home as long as we can. I have just been trying to educate myself and my husband about what I want and don't so I can let my doctor know and change hospitals if I need too!

Thanks again!

Jamie said...

the baby's room looks lovely. And try to get a hold of head of the hospital to see if they will let your husband come in a little bit to check on you and reassure you. That's what we did and the hospital head was okay with it but Ekrem couldn't stay in the room all the time until they moved us into a private room. My mother-in-law was in there all the time and she doesn't speak English but was a huge help.
Good luck and I hope everything works out!

ereno said...

The room looks so cute, I love the colors. I think I have read your blog before, but I was just really touched by your description of hearing the hospital situation. My son was just born in May, here in the states, and I can't imagine what you have described. I can't believe that there is no flexibility to allow your husband in the room...am I just being naive, is it possible the guys just have not wanted to be in there in the past and you could be the first?? I've been to Turkey 4x, so I'm not unfamiliar, but it's amazing what we don't find out until we ask. I will agree with Verity, labour at home as long as possible. Take your walks, change positions, then hop a cab when your contractions are under 4 minutes apart. I kept getting told that most first time moms go to the hospital too early. Well, good luck with everything, I'll keep following your story :)

renai said...

I read your post with tears in my eyes. You are very brave. I feel for you and what you are facing. I too started to think about these things and the more I searched and understood the more my fear grew.

As Verity said, support is the biggest thing that you need during birth. I learned this from helping my sister during the birth of each of her two boys.

Talk with the hospital head and see what you can achieve there. If that fails, talk with another hospital. As others said, stay at home as long as you can which will keep you calm and more focussed and enable your husband to be wit you and support you.

I'm not sure if there are any doula's that operate in your parts, but that could be another option. Here in Istanbul I know that Julia Stiles offers her services to foreigners here and she has a good reputation. Have a look here:
http://fullcirclehealing.org/docs/about_me/about_me.php
She may be able to offer some advice/suggestions/referral. Just an idea.

Stay strong and focus on your little girl. Don't let this bump in the road put you off course. I wish I could be more help.

The room is beautiful.

Mauds said...

I am first off, SO happy there is NO pink in that babies room, and secondly, i am SOOO happy you will be homebirthing!! I love it Em. You will be strong and have a happy, healthy, tall baby dear.

I love you

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ejejocyp.ibnsites.com/rosiwur.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://tydarogan.virtue.nu/guzoqus.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real income.
It's all about how to choose a correct companion who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]