Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall...













It is fall in MN. Normally in mine and I believe many Minnesotans opinion the best time of the year with squash, pumpkins, apples, crisp fresh air...













And of course the colorful leaves, reds, yellows, oranges and everything in between. The most gorgeous as the sun shines through warming the crisp air.

Minnesotans know that you really have to get ready for the long cold winter though. Unfortuanatly it might be coming earlier than normal this year but we hope to get another warm spell!

Mom and I readied the gardens. Picking the carrots and beets. Tearing out tomato plants. Harvesting the herbs and honey crisp apples(probably the best apples I have ever had!)all before the EARLY snow we are supposed to get.

Gardening and working outside is so therapeutic. The smells of the soil and the fresh crisp air in your lungs.

Most Minnesotans are busy canning or freezing their gardens right now. My aunties and sister made salsa. So much you can do to preserve the garden delights for winter; canning, freezing and pickling are a few.

I have previously written about Turkish Turşuci, The pickle man. They pickle anything and everything in Turkey and have whole fabulous shops dedicated to this art. I recently came across and article through Istanbul Eats from Today's Zaman about the best Turşu in Turkey and even how to make it yourself...so for those of you drooling over the thought of pickled everything check out the article here and make some yourself...


















We had our little Mavisu Pumpkin Lovely out for some sunshine and fresh air. My darling Turkish in-laws might be upset to think she was out in the cold but I promise she was bundled up tight and I am being a good mommy. I love her more everyday! We miss her Baba (Daddy) though!

2 comments:

renai said...

I'm so happy to hear you spending some quality time in MN. I'm sure your mum is so happy to have you and her new granddaughter around to just do all the normal daily things together. Mavisu is so sweet!! Enjoy your time.

Erhan Akarçay said...

Emily,
I am really sorry for your father, I've just read your feelings and thoughts, you made me cry. I hope your father will rest in peace. And it should be wonderful to have Mavisu, sometimes life serves unbelievable surprises. Mavisu's birth could not be in a better timing. I hope you, your family and little Mavisu are good. Two weeks ago I was in Didim for a conference, close to your place, it is a fantastic place you made. I could easily recognize your footprints at the cafe. The art and design at the cafe reflects you. I wish you were there, maybe next time. Take care, kisses for pretty Mavisu.