Monday, February 25, 2008

What you wear...


















This is piece I did entitle Thin Line. It is paint on fabrics with embroidery. We all have our own ideas about what is right and what is wrong. What dictates those ideas? Family? Freedom of Thought? culture? religon? internal and external factors? If anyone has been paying attention to Turkey women wearing head scarves into the university is a HUGE issue right now. I didn't really know how to tackle writing about it....still not so sure. It is multi-layerd issue I am only beginning to understand. Who can tell you what to wear? Should someone else dicatate what you choose? The headscarf seems to be a symbol of Islam and that is the debate...division of religion and government...but this other article pissed me off! These men sprayed an acid on these little girls legs because they thought their skirts were to short and they even had stockings on...here is the article from Turkish Daily News...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

T

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, you are a very talented artist! And thanks for letting us join you in your adventure. I've been in Wadi Rum in Jordan for just over 2 weeks now and feel so closed off from the rest of the world. I had heard about the headdress controversy as well and now that I'm in a Muslim country, I'm trying to understand it all better as well. The other day, I wore a calf length skirt with sandals and felt practically naked by the way I was being stared at. I respect this religion and see a lot of beauty and soulfullness in it, but the restrictions on women still does not sit well at all with me. The women rarely leave their homes in this village and I think very strongly that there would be a lot less poverty here if the ladies could get out there and help get things done. I suppose letting the women go to university in Turkey with the head scarves is a baby step in that direction. I support anything that lets them get out of the house. And thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog the other week. It's nice to feel connected. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

See HERE