Sunday, February 10, 2008

Yeni Koy Kofte(two dots over both o's)














As C and I drove from Eskisehir to Istanbul we stopped in Yeni Koy(new village). This city is supposedly where kofte started, famous for it. There were many restaurants advertising as the best. We stopped at one of the Orhans. Above is an appetizer of big white creamy beans named Piyaz. I love how so many dishes are simply accented with salt, olive oil and fresh lemon.














Before you begin salt everything! Above are a few other starters; again Piyaz, Salat(a mix of cucumbers and tomatoes with olive oil and lemon), and amazing yogurt. Really the yogurt in Turkey is so freaking good. This is tara yogurt, it is thick, creamy and rich. It has this top layer, kinda like a pudding skin, called kaymak and it is also tasty. Oh yes and you must have bread! Turks eat bread with every meal and are always dipping it in the sauces. Soak up the juices.














Then the kofte comes. They are like mini hamburgers. I think they can be made with lamb or beef? When C makes then for me he mixes the meat with bread crumbs, cumin, garlic, onion, parsley and other spices. They are then grilled or fried depending. When meats are grilled they seem to always be accompanied by long thin green peppers and halved tomatoes(both grilled).














I made a mini burger with mine, little ketchup and mustard. Some of the kofte were spicy. Throw some red pepper in the mix. A side note- while we were eating a Muslim bride sat near. I wanted to take a photo of her but thought it might be rude. I always have to stop myself from staring. She had the most elaborate dress and head wrap. They must have been wealthy because she was done up. Again with the delightfully, elaborately, tackiness. All white materials, netting, beads, glitter, fake white flowers etc. No skin showing-long sleeves and turtle neck but really beautiful. It would be so different to always be conscious of showing your hair? Or any skin for that matter. To always have to think twice about what you are doing. It was really hard for me the first time I came to Turkey coming straight from southern California where skin is in! I like skin.














Back to eating...Of course the meal ends with Turkish tea, a cigarette, and some kolonya(this time in hand wipe form which I very much prefer).

No comments: