Saturday, February 27, 2010

Avokado and school lunches...


















I found some here and they are even grown in Turkey! I wonder where? Anyone know how to grow them? I want a tree for Didim! Will have to make some guacamole!

Does anyone know what wine is good here? Haven't found any I care for yet.

Makes me think of California. Avocados and good wine.

Always impressed by the TED website: Ideas worth spreading. These particular videos I have been watching are about food; particularly how out of touch many Americans are about where it comes from, how to make it and what it is doing...the rest of the world isn't far behind...

Sharing powerful stories from his anti-obesity project in Huntington, W. Va., TED Prize winner Jamie Oliver makes the case for an all-out assault on our ignorance of food.

"renegade lunch lady" Ann Cooper talks about the coming revolution in the way kids eat at school -- local, sustainable, seasonal and even educational food.

In this fiery and funny talk, New York Times food writer Mark Bittman weighs in on what's wrong with the way we eat now (too much meat, too few plants; too much fast food, too little home cooking), and why it's putting the entire planet at risk.



Very inspirational videos. I feel fortunate that I was always raised around gardens with an understanding of how to cook and what a good garden tomato tastes like, what the plant looks like, how they smell. But I still have tons to learn...When we go back to didim for the summer hope to plant a garden(one that thrives unlike last year..) and compost. Start to understand what organic gardening takes.

The above videos refer to the disgusting state of American school lunches. This is a topic that has greatly disturbed my darling sister as she researches it for her master in public health. I can say when I went to university in Turkey I was always impressed with the state schools and I experienced it in the hospitals when I had baby dear a decent lunch program-well balanced. Also it was so cheap like 1TL(75 cents) per day which is unheard of in USA...Ok some days were hit or miss but it was nice to have the option and I loved the metal trays and always gave you real silverware- not plastic throw away stuff that adds to the landfill problems...



P.S. mom thanks for making our school lunches everyday of our school lives.

4 comments:

Ayak said...

Apparently experimenting with growing avocados in Turkey started in the 1970s, but they still don't appear to be too popular with the Turks. Suitable avocado growing areas in Turkey lie between Mugla province in the south-west and Hatay province in the east in the Mediterranean coastal belt. I love them and have always found it difficult to find them.

As for Turkish wine, in almost 12 years of living here, I still haven't found one that I like. I guess that the choice you have in the UK of international wines tends to make you a bit fussy.

Anonymous said...

Sarafin Chardonney (white) and Kavaklıdere Öküzgözü (red)... Maybe you may like these.

mag said...

great post!

Nomad said...

I learned a neat trick the other day. If you buy an avocado that is not soft (ripe) put it in a bag with an apple. It ripens practically overnight.
One disappointment with avocados in Turkey. You can't seem to grow them using the seed. My mother one time had a huge plant started from a seed. I would love to have my own plant.
Have you seen the Jerusalem artichoke or the purple carrots? And fresh ginger? makes a great tea with a teaspoon of honey. Has a nice "bite" to it and great for the digestion.