Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Orna-momento?


















So over the snowy Christmas season between grieving, breast feedings, diaper changings, tummy time, new mommy stuff etc...and some social outings too of course:) but mainly with help from my best babysitters; grandma and auntie Maudie I made these ornaments...

As I have written before that Christmas time has always been a big deal at the Johnson house with strong traditions; the hunt for the 18 footer and Dad's pants. He was always proud that he could still fit into his red,green and white plaid pants every year all the while looking quite dapper.

So with these things in mind I cut up the pants...

I took time...trying to channel my father's attention to detail and classic style all the while loving being creative again! Working with my hands!

For the front I made a monogram graphic on the computer and printed it on some organza silk made for printing at home(but a cheaper way is to iron freezer paper to muslin and cut to printer paper size-print at home-works great-anyone seen freezer paper in Turkey?)

The handle is the tie from his suspenders with some great buttons I found in my mother's collection.


















For the back I appliqued the tree with a bright red stocking cap like he would wear for the hunt as the angel topper. The red ornaments are french knot embroidery and only on the bottom half. The tree was always so tall and when we were little only the parts we could reach would get decorated.

My siblings and mother each got similarly detailed ones with a simpler version going out to the many relatives and close friends.

I love making things with special personal meaning. The details and memories intertwined in the piece to remake the cherished piece into a newly wonderful memento! Want to do more with this idea...

This christmas ornament will be out for quite a while at my house...

Have been loving and so inspired by listening to craft podcasts specifically Craftsanity with Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood!(Thanks to Verity at thelightgarden for introducing me to them when she wrote about importance of community and connections. I don't want to feel like we live on an island anymore...)

bed time now...

3 comments:

mag said...

Ha, I still have mine up on the bookshelf in the living room. I just dusted around it, matter of fact.... I LOVE that thing!

Love you too - we didn't connect last weekend but maybe this weekend???

LOVE YOU.

mauds said...

health to your hands

Verity said...

These look gorgeous! Such beautiful work! I am so impressed! And I'm so glad you are enjoying the podcasts! I love listening to them for a little inspiration and English speaking crafty company!